Many owners of apartments with small bathrooms often think that they have taken everything into account: they have felt over the layout, have chosen ergonomic plumbing, and selected a luxury bathroom vanity. But they forget the most crucial thing: design rules. And already at the stage of repair, they make unforgivable mistakes:
- select tiles and other finishing materials of the wrong size and shape;
- forget that decoration, furniture, and plumbing should be combined and complementary to each other;
- use too many color accents or mix different designs and styles, which is unacceptable.
A small shower room without a cubicle or with a toilet, without a 20″ or 24 inch bathroom vanity, will not look attractive if the design concept is not maintained in the room. When every square centimeter is worth its weight in gold, you should not fantasize. You need to adhere to the operating rules. Also, you can prefer glass shower screens that make your bathroom more unique.
These are the rules:
- Walls and ceilings should be done in light colors, but classic white is best avoided. This is a too dull and trivial solution.
- To visually enlarge the room, be sure to use medium-sized smooth ceramic tiles with a reflective surface.
- When choosing a tile with a pattern, you should give preference to a medium-sized vertical ornament, which will not visually reduce the size of the room.
- The color of the tiles themselves and the designs/patterns on them should be one tone lighter than the walls in the bathroom to achieve color harmony and visually increase the space.
- A wall in a contrasting color behind a bathtub or shower stall will help to visually lengthen a short bathroom and also make the interior original.
- A medicine cabinet with light visually expands the boundaries of a narrow bathroom, and the presence of a second mirror on the adjacent long wall creates a perspective effect.
- Lighting should be uniform. Spotlights are needed, as well as illumination of mirrors and cabinets to visually enlarge the room.
- When choosing a type of shower enclosure for a small bathroom, it is better to opt for a corner model with a deep tray, which can be used as a bathtub.
- To save space as much as possible, place the washing machine under the washbasin and place a cabinet with mirrored doors above the washbasin.
But what about the color scheme?
Although white is considered a classic, today, it is increasingly associated with a hospital ward. And I would like to bring something more original to the interior of a small bathroom in my apartment. And this can be done if the color accents are correctly placed.
Here’s how to do it:
- “Thin” white tiles on walls with wooden surfaces. These are the facades of wall cabinets and shelves or imitation of wood on ceramic tiles in the flooring areas.
- Cover the floor with tiles or other covering, 2-3 shades darker than the color of the walls and ceiling. It is on the floor that the coating with patterns and drawings looks very good.
- For a small bathroom of standard or irregular shape, finishing materials in pastel colors, for example, light beige, are good.
- Gray color in the decoration of the walls emphasizes the whiteness of the sanitary ware and the shine of the chrome-plated accessories and appliances (faucets, holders, heated towel rails).
- Dark and deep shades accentuate the geometry of the bathroom and highlight functional areas (e.g., separating the shower cubicle).
- Tiles with bright patterns and designs, as well as color inserts, are also appropriate. This way, you can add more comfort and space to the room.
- The presence of one wall with a contrasting color scheme is appropriate when you want to make the bathroom interior original.
Where to buy bathroom vanity and how to choose a shower cubicle, plumbing fixtures, and furniture for a small bathroom with a non-standard color scheme? The main rule is simple: everything needs to be combined. Bathrooms in the spirit of minimalism should be equipped with fixtures and fittings with strict geometric shapes. But you can play with color.
It would be best if you did not choose plumbing and furniture of the same color. Otherwise, everything will merge into one spot. If the bathtub and washbasin are white, then the cabinets may have a different, contrasting color. Having a modern shower requires stylish accessories such as taps with shiny chrome surfaces.