Sat. Jul 20th, 2024
Who cannot use the online service to apply for a UK EHIC or UK GHIC CARD?

The first thing you need to know is the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) is a card that is issued on behalf of the Department of work and pensions in the UK by the NHS Business services authority. This Particular card allows you to avail state healthcare in Europe at reduced costs or mostly for free.

If you are valid a UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) holder, then you can use the card until the expiry date. After it has expired, you will definitely need to apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) as a replacement.

An important point to keep in mind is that the GHIC and EHIC does not replace travel insurance. As both have different scope of coverage

Most UK Nationals can apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) using the online service. However there are a few groups under which you will not be able to apply online and will need to contact NHS Overseas Healthcare Services. And those groups rr categories are mentioned below

A Swiss or EU national student cannot apply online.

A Swiss or EU national who is ordinarily residing in the UK, but studying in the Norway, Iceland, EU, Switzerland, or Liechtenstein then there is a chance that you may be entitled to a new UK EHIC or UK GHIC.

A Person holding a UK-issued A1 Certificate

If you are working in the following places like EU, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway, or Switzerland and have a UK-issued A1 document/certificate showing NIC then you might be entitled to a get new UK EHIC Card or new UK GHIC Card.

If you’re working as an au pair or nanny

A UK or Irish national normally residing in the UK permanently and is going or planning to go to work as an au pair or nanny in Switzerland or an EU Country, you can still apply for a UK GHIC.

Chen and Ibrahim/Teixeira carers

If you are an adult carer for a child or minor who is from the EU, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Norway or Iceland, but you’re not a national of any of these countries or even from the UK or even Ireland, there is a chance that you just might be eligible to apply for a new UK EHIC not only for yourself but for any other children that you have who are also not nationals of any of these countries.

If you are residing in the UK as a Zambrano carer, taking care of a British Citizen.

Dependent grandparents and grandchildren

Your dependent grandchildren can be added to your new UK EHIC application even if they are not UK Nationals, if they are a national of the EU, Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, or Iceland and are one of the following:

  • Your grandchildren needs to be under the age of 18, should be  living in the UK and were born before 1 Jan 2021
  • If your grandchild is older than 18 but born on or after 1st Jan 2000, and arrived in the UK after 31st  Dec 2020
  • If your dependent is older than 18, born before 1st Jan 2000 and  arrived in the UK after 31st Dec 2020, and are dependent on you

As far as dependent elders go, Parents or grandparents can be added to your new UK EHIC application if they are dependent on you or your partner. The one condition that needs to be fulfilled is that their relationship with you and/or your partner must have begun before 1 Jan 2021 and they must live with you and also they as individuals should be:

  • They have to be a non-UK national,
  • They must be a national of the EU, Liechtenstein, Iceland, Norway, or Switzerland
  • They also must have arrived in the UK only on or after 31st Dec 2020

If they’re a national of any other country, they can be added if they have settled or pre-settled status under the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS). If they do not have settled or pre-settled status, they can be added if their relationship with you began before 1 January 2021.

How to apply online for a New UK GHIC

You can easily apply online for a New GHIC Card.

All you will need to do is fill up some information and complete a few steps and you will have a New GHIC card in no time.

For starters the basic information that you will need to provide is mentioned below.

  • Your Full name
  • Your residing address
  • Your full date of birth
  • National Insurance or NHS number (England and Wales)
  • CHI number (Scotland)
  • Health and Care number (Northern Ireland)