As a Los Angeles resident, you are aware of the traffic and the fact that car crashes and mishaps are not rare in the city. While you may feel sorry for someone who was hurt in such an accident, the entire situation can be pretty overwhelming when you are involved. Most traffic accidents happen due to negligent drivers who often drive without a care in the world. There are also reasons like drunk and distracted driving that cause unfortunate incidents. In this post, we bring you a few points worth knowing after an accident.
- Focus on your medical care before anything else. You may not feel the pain immediately after the crash due to the adrenaline rush, but don’t let that stop you from seeking medical attention. Check with a doctor on the same day, and ensure that everything is documented. The medical records will come in handy when you file a claim.
- Get the evidence you can. At the scene, you should wait for the police and use the time to collect the contact and insurance info of other drivers. Check if someone was at the spot so that you can use their testimonies later. Also, use your phone to take pictures and videos of everything around you.
- Understand the comparative fault rule. California’s comparative fault rule is claimant-friendly, which means you can file a lawsuit against the other driver for their fault, even when you are primarily accountable for the accident. There are several factors that may determine the outcome, but there is always room to take further legal action.
- Don’t argue or admit fault. Even when you are mad at the other driver for blatantly ignoring the traffic laws, do not engage in verbal confrontations. Similarly, if you were responsible for the mishap to an extent, do not admit that to the police or the other party. Instead, retain your calm, and if someone needs immediate care, call 911.
- Call a personal injury lawyer. Numerous injury law firms in LA can help with your car accident claim, and you can schedule a meeting with an attorney for free. A good injury lawyer will guide you on the legal ways to recover a settlement and will work on a contingency arrangement. If you don’t win, there is no lawyer fee, which is another reason to get legal help.
Take your time to recover as your lawyer fights for you.