Bursitis is a distressing medical condition that affects the tiny, fluid-filled sacs – known as bursae, which cushion our bones, muscles, and tendons surrounding the joints. It is most common in the shoulder, elbow, and hip joints. It is also possible for the ailment to manifest itself in the big toe’s base, heels, and the knee. Bursitis is a common ailment that affects joints that are subjected to a lot of repeated action. The primary cause of bursitis is excessive and recurring pressure on an area or using a specific joint in the body too much. Thus, indulging in the same type of movements like running, walking, cycling, etc., every day puts a lot of stress on the joints and increases the risk of bursitis. People can also be inflicted with bursitis by standing and sitting the wrong way for extended time periods. Likewise, not stretching prior to exercising can also trigger bursitis.
Our tendons become less elastic and more prone to wear and tear as we age. Thus, the susceptibility to bursitis also increases with age. Furthermore, reactions to medications, stress, and inflammation from other pre-existing conditions like arthritis, gout, thyroid disorders, etc., may also increase the risk of getting bursitis. Some of the symptoms of bursitis include –
- A gradual build-up of pain near a join that may suddenly become excruciating
- Limited mobility
- Swollen, red, and stiff joints
Now that we have talked about the rudimentary aspects of bursitis let us gauge the best knee braces for the condition.
Knee braces for bursitis
Knee braces are one of the best ways to deal with knee bursitis. Some of the standard and viable knee braces for the condition are –
- A soft knee brace is ideal for mild bursitis. The crucial aspect is for the knee brace to have sufficient compression, comfort, and support. The knee sleeve you choose must also aid in enhancing blood flow and oxygenation of the tissues, as well as maintain a stable body temperature.
- If you are a sportsperson involved in heavy contact sports, you should opt for a heavy knee sleeve. An open patella design will keep pressure off your knee caps and provide the right level of warmth, support, and compression to ease joint pain and stiffness.
- Bursitis of various degrees can be treated using a knee sleeve made of neoprene. A padded neoprene knee sleeve is an excellent option for anyone who participates in sports on a regular basis.
- If you’re looking for a knee sleeve that is extremely lightweight, a dual tension-compression or a cotton slip-on knee sleeve or a knee pain brace are the best options. As a result, these braces are breathable, pleasant, and don’t get stretched out like other braces.
In conclusion, you can find several high-quality knee braces for bursitis of the knees. However, taking assistance from a medical professional is imperative as they can guide you on the type of knee brace that is perfect for you.