If you live in a rental property and you have lately been dealing with maintenance issues, you need to let your landlord know for quick fixes. Uninhabitable problems like rodent invasion, sewage problems, broken fixtures and faucets, leaks, and molds should be fixed without any issues. If the landlord fails to correct such problems even with a written repair request, you can go to the best Los Angeles tenant attorney and sue them. However, before that, here are things you should do.

Notify the Landlord

This is often an overlooked step by many displeased tenants. You need to let your landlord know about the condition of the house or complex. However, when giving the notice, you should know how to do it the right way. This will help you to establish your rights and avoid being liable for your actions in the process of notifying the landlord.

Withhold the Rent

This is the best remedy that many tenants use when their maintenance requests are unattended. As a tenant, you have the right to withhold the rent if the landlord fails to provide a conducive living environment. This is very applicable when the issue inhibits you from using or enjoying living in the property. Such as flooding, leaks, dangerous molds, fire hazards, and a missing roof are some of the conditions. Before deciding to withhold the rent, speak with a tenant-lawyer first. The expert will tell you what you should do.

Report to the Housing Inspectors

If the issue has violated the local and state housing laws, the jurisdiction allows you to report the case to government agencies. Such agencies ensure that landlords don’t take advantage of misinformed tenants. The agency may impose a fine on the landlord on your behalf. However, you might end up homeless. So, it is still a good idea to work with a tenant attorney.

Use the Repair-Deduct Option

In some jurisdictions, you might be granted the power to use the “repair and -deduct” option in such a case. First, check with the local housing decrees to see if your state allows you to do that. If it does not allow, then you cannot do that. If it works for you, fix the problem if the landlord has refused to fix it, then subtract the cost from the rent. However, this might be a poor option if the issue requires major repairs.

Move Out

Another option could be moving out. If the dwelling has become uninhabitable despite your complaints to the landlord, you can move out temporarily or permanently. This option is reasonable when there are potential health hazards, don’t have essential services of the property is totally or partially destroyed. Before you move out, check what you need to do. Confirm if you will need to call building inspectors and the time you need to give the landlord to fix the issue. Another thing you need is to check how much you should have done to get the problem repaired before you decide to move out.


These are the most reasonable things you should do if your landlord has failed to fix issues in their rental property. It is crucial to work with a landlord specialized in tenant-landlord disputes, to help you with every process.