What is a Solar GPS Watch? A Solar GPS Watch is a type of watch that combines the functionality of GPS technology with the power of solar energy. This type of watch uses GPS technology to accurately track your location, distance, and speed during outdoor activities such as hiking, running, or cycling which makes this a perfect watch for people with active lifestyles. Aside from the GPS technology it also uses a solar-powered feature that allows the watch to recharge through exposure to sunlight or indoor light, eliminating the need for frequent battery replacements which makes it very practical and convenient.
Solar GPS Watches such as Seiko Astron are usually made for outdoor enthusiasts or athletes who need accurate location tracking and other features such as altimeter, barometer, and compass. They often come equipped with a variety of sports-related features, such as heart rate monitoring, step tracking, and workout tracking.
To help you decide if you should get a Solar GPS Watch then here are the advantages and disadvantages that you should consider before getting one.
- Accurate Location Tracking – Solar GPS Watches are perfect for those who enjoy outdoor activities. They get to track their location, distance traveled, and speed, which is particularly useful for hikers, runners, and cyclists.
- Practical and Convenient – who needs to carry a separate GPS device when you already have the technology built into the watch itself.
- Long Battery Life – because of the solar energy power you don’t need to frequently replace the batteries, you only need enough exposure to sunlight or indoor light to keep your Solar GPS Watch working. This also means that they’re more environmentally friendly and easier to maintain.
- Water Resistant – since Solar GPS Watches are specifically tailor made for athletes and active people most are designed to be water-resistant which makes them suitable for water-based activities such as swimming or kayaking.
- Durability – like we said the Solar GPS Watches are made for outdoor activities so it’s only right that the watches are designed to be rugged and durable to make it suitable for harsh environments.
- Cost – Solar GPS Watches are much more expensive than a traditional watch because of the advanced features and functionality it has.
- Size and Weight – Solar GPS Watches are bigger and heavier than the usual watch which others may find uncomfortable.
- GPS Signal – Solar GPS Watches are very dependent on GPS signals from satellites to accurately track location, distance, and speed. If you are in poor GPS coverage or area then chances are the accuracy of the watch may be minimized.
- Availability – Solar GPS Watches are limited because not all watch makers manufacture it, so there may be limited options to choose from.
- Complexity – Solar GPS Watches are much more complex due to the advanced features that it carries which some users may find overwhelming and not user friendly.
As with any technology, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before making a purchase decision, and consider how the features of a solar GPS watch fit your individual needs and lifestyle.