The SharePoint platform has been continuously evolving since the beginning. It has always come up with great improvements in every release. Earlier it was just a simple server management tool used to share files and data through this software.
With every SharePoint versions, you get access to innovations and solutions. Now, it is known to be a versatile tool to collaborate, increase productivity, and handle organizations’ utilities.
What is the SharePoint Versions history?
2000 – SharePoint Portal Server
Microsoft introduced two products with this release:
- Portal for enterprise search and document management
- SharePoint team collaboration
2001 – SharePoint
The introduction of a new management tool integrated the functionality of previous versions in a single platform. It has a web store but with limited functionalities for products and users.
2003 – SharePoint
Microsoft brought a new version of Office, including the rebranded version of Window SharePoint Services. This was released in October 2003. It deals with giving you a collaboration store, search functions, better web interfaces, and improved taxonomy. These Versions of SharePoint dealt more with personalizing the product and increasing the portal product’s scalability.
2007 – Standalone SharePoint
In 2006, Microsoft introduced a standalone option and another bundled one with Office. This edition was the biggest step towards the product line. This managed version fixes for the SharePoint 2003 product and enhances the core functionalities. SharePoint 2007 version came with the InfoPath form services and Business Data Catalog.
- Fixed shortcomings of 2003 product
- Introduced Windows SharePoint Services
- Introduction of Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007
- Brought in Excel Services
- Different types of contents
- Introduced SharePoint Designer
This SharePoint version focused on improvements and specifically on the integrating features of the Office. The most notable feature is enhancing the user interface for better workflow options, business data management, wiki pages, networking features, and social profiles. Some important features and functionalities that came out with these specific Versions of SharePoint are:
- Improvements for InfoPath, business data services, management, workflows, and excel services
- Brought in Ribbon
- Social Networking features
- Brought Sandboxed solutions and access to API for clients
- Support of PowerShell
2013 – Office 365/SharePoint Online
The update was an incremental change in the software suite, and SharePoint became robust. The biggest addition to this version was Cache service and content-aware switching known as management. Let us look at the highlights of this SharePoint version:
- SharePoint 2013 On-premise
- SharePoint Online and Office 365
- Cross-browser support
- Drag and drop uploads
- Better social features
- Replacement of MySites with OneDrive integration
- Addition of audit center
- Improved search facilities
2016 – The new Staple
Before 2016, there were two versions of SharePoint websites in the SharePoint version history, the Online and On-Premises version. With these SharePoint versions, there was an introduction to cloud technology. The platform merged the different versions and came up with a hybrid infrastructure. Some notable improvements with this release are:
- SharePoint 2016 On-Premise
- In May 2016, Microsoft released SharePoint and feature pack 2
- Support of modern interface in the OneDrive websites
- Office 365 Groups with the SharePoint Online websites
- Addition of MinRoles
- Patches for zero downtime
- Content database size is shifted from 200 GB to 1 TB
- File storage changed from 2 GB to 10 GB
- Non-default ports are used for connection encryption
- Reduced time consumption in creating a website by using new PowerShell command and UI
2018 – SharePoint Online: Office 365
The major part of this release was hub sites that adopted flat architecture. Some vital key points were focused on with this SharePoint version. The key improvements of this version are:
- Better communication and hub sites
- Handled browser support for Android and iOS platforms.
- Customize the title for every page
- View and apply website designs within the SharePoint site
- Modern pages provide support to section backgrounds
- Personalized the web parts
Microsoft has brought the right improvements with so many SharePoint versions. In this release, they came with a planner to avoid using a separate application and a 3D file viewer. Some key improvements of this SharePoint release are:
- Maintained the look and feel similar to SharePoint online
- Introduction of modern interface
- Providing responsive UI
- Removal of hybrid configuration and have power automation and power apps.
- Improvements in a Team site
- Provides modern user-experience
- Better communication website
- Support for business processes
SharePoint Online – Office 365
- Admin center experience updates
- Update in “Change the look” panel
- Mobile admin app updates which include device management
- Admin center support updates that have a full-page ticket history view and callback scheduling
- For wide lists and libraries, the column headers will remain visible when you scroll horizontally and vertically
- Users can display the column subtotals and totals in the footer of the group, list, or library view in the modern SharePoint.
2020 – SharePoint future
This release announced the general availability of communication compliance. This also brought the advanced eDiscovery dashboard and App catalog in Microsoft Teams.
What is the procedure for creating a SharePoint dashboard?
SharePoint has been the top preferred tool by the business when they are constantly growing. It helps them make informed decisions as there is enough organized information and data.
Businesses start to automate the procedures and share information hassle-free. This gives you time to understand the industry and apply effective strategies. The easiest method to create a SharePoint dashboard is:
- Know your data that needs reporting
- Build a dashboard in Excel.
- Add your dashboard in MS Excel into the SharePoint page
- Customize it with SharePoint as per your requirements
How to access SharePoint version history?
SharePoint Document Library
This is the primary method to reach the SharePoint list history through the SharePoint document library. Right-click on the file, and it will display the history. It allows viewing the history and comments if the file is either checked-out or checked-in.
This is the method where version history is within Windows Explorer after synchronizing your document library using OneDrive sync. Redirect to:
SharePoint Maven > Application Resume > Document > Right Click > Version History
But by using this option, you will not be able to view the previous versions or comments.
Offline Online Applications
- Open the application through browser experience and click on File Menu
- Click on the Info tab and then on Version History
- You can now see the versions of the file that exists
- If needed, you can restore the previous version from the same place
Office Desktop Applications
- Open the file in the native application
- Redirect from File > Info > Version History
- You can open the previous versions of the file
- Restore if required
We might have provided you with enough evidence of improvements with the release of each SharePoint version. The platform continuously puts efforts to grow and provide a better environment for organizations.