Possums are small, nocturnal rodents that can be a nuisance when they invade your property. They’re also a significant carrier of disease and cause immense damage to local ecosystems. If you have them in your yard, consider taking these steps to get rid of the problem:
Why Can’t I Get Rid of Possums by Myself
Possums are some of the most common pests in Australia. They are known for their nuisance habits, such as raiding bird feeders and eating stored food.
If you want to get rid of possums yourself, you will need to use a combination of methods. One approach is to catch the possum and release it into an uninhabited area. You can also set traps and bait them with food.
If you do not want to catch the possum yourself, you can try using a pest control services. They will use different methods to get rid of the possum removal, such as poison or trapping them.
Five Ways to Get Rid of Possums
1. Speak to your neighbors about the possum problem.
2. Make a trap using a can, a piece of wood, and some food.
3. Set the trap in an area where you see possums frequently.
4. Get creative with your traps – you could set one in a tree or use it as a feeder for birds.
5. Keep your dog on a leash when walking near possums – they may be scared by them and run into the trap. 6. Increase your chances of success by placing a can in the possum’s path, or using your trap as bait for birds.7. Spray possums with a chemical that will stop them from eating willow trees (it’s safe to use around pets and humans).8. Use a t-shirt or piece of clothing and tie it around the tree trunk near the possum tree – this irks the possum into thinking that there’s something on the end of his favorite food source, and he’ll investigate.9. If you’re desperate, try spraying water (one quart per gallon) on the tree, then removing leaves or rubbing them off when they dry (remember – wait one hour before reapplying).10. Place chicken wire
Possums are annoying creatures, and if you have a garden or property that they inhabit, it can be hard to get them out, hire possum removal company to get rid of them. Here are some tips that may help you get rid of possums:
1) Make noise—possums hate loud noises, so making lots of noise as you approach the possum will scare it off.
2) Set traps—a common way to catch possums is by setting traps baited with food. This will likely work best if you set the trap in an area where the Possum is already known to frequent.
3) Use poison—there are a number of poisons available that can be used to kill possums, but be sure to read the product label carefully before using them. Some poisons can harm other animals or humans if ingested.
4) Try exclusion—if all else fails and you really don’t want the Possum on your property, consider exclusion techniques such as wire fencing or installing barriers around your plants and flowers.