Rome is the capital of Italy, and also one of the most visited cities in the world. There are so many amazing sites to see, and so many different day trips you could take from Rome, it’s hard to believe there are only a few!
Since I have visited Rome, I know tons of people who visit the Eternal City with their families and friends every year — including myself! And since we never complete our bucket lists, I thought it would be a good idea to compile a list of 5 exciting tours and day trips you can do while visiting Rome.
So, today in this article, we will reveal day trips from Rome and even day tours from Rome!
1. Amalfi Coast and Positano Semi-Private Tour- By City Wonders!
Both Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast are major tourist attractions in southern Italy, but it is practically difficult to visit both in a single day using public transportation.
On this day excursion, save hours with direct round-trip transportation from Rome, allowing you ample time for a guided tour of the ancient ruins of Pompeii and a shopping stroll through Positano before returning to Rome.
What to Expect?
- You will be escorted by a devoted and enthusiastic guide in a spacious, air-conditioned coach to experience the treasures of Pompeii, the Amalfi Coast, and Positano.
- Enjoy skip-the-line admission to Pompeii, where an English-speaking local guide will bring the ancient city to life as you stroll through streets that have remained frozen since the eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
- Enjoy the splendour of the Amalfi Coast as you descend to Positano, Italy’s most picturesque beach resort.
- Positano’s leisure time is perfect for an afternoon stroll among the shops or for sipping limoncello while taking in the views.
2. The Original Vatican Tour and St. Peter’s Dome Climb- By When in Rome Tours!
Begin your visit to the Vatican in a unique manner by climbing the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica with a guide. After taking in panoramic views of Vatican City and Rome, enter the cathedral, Vatican Museums, and Sistine Chapel for a guided tour. This half-day tour occurs in the morning, before the majority of visitors arrive at the Vatican.
What to Expect?
- St. Peter’s Dome Climb to the top of Michelangelo’s dome for a breath-taking panorama of Rome!
- Our skip-the-line access ticket and skilled local guide will expedite your entry to the Vatican Museums.
- The world-famous chambers, halls, and galleries contain all the classical and ancient sculptures.
- Immersive Tour of the Sistine Chapel and Michelangelo’s Ceiling Panel by Board
- Tour through the entirety of St. Peter’s Basilica, including all the significant artworks and sculptures located there.
- Visiting the obscure papal sarcophagi beneath St. Peter’s Basilica, known as the “Vatacombes”
3. Tuscany in a Day Tour from Rome- By City Wonders!
Val d’Orcia’s rolling countryside will be explored on an air-conditioned coach departing from the center of Rome. Stop first in Montepulciano, a hilltop town from the 15th century famed for its Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. On a walking tour, you will learn about the city’s winemaking history and view monuments such as the clock tower, church, and city walls.
Next, venture to nearby Montalcino. Visit the Abbey of Sant’Antimo and observe the vineyards while learning how their grapes are used in the production of Brunello di Montepulciano. Enjoy a glass of Brunello with a three-course lunch at a farm. There are further local wines available. Pienza is one of the Tuscan treasures recognized by UNESCO.
Spend your free time touring Pope Pius II’s mid-1400s-era historic center. If you are a foodie, you must purchase Pienza’s prized pecorino. Your journey of Tuscany concludes with a drop-off in Rome.
4. Rome in a Day with Vatican and Colosseum- By The Roman Guy!
Utilize your time in Rome to the fullest with a full-day private tour that allows you to explore all the key attractions. The Vatican Museums, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter’s Basilica, and the Colosseum will be visited in luxury transport with your guide.
In addition, you will discover the historic core on a walking tour that includes the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain, and you will save time with skip-the-line tickets to the Vatican and Colosseum.
5. Rome Guided Vespa City Tours- By With Me Tours!
On a Vespa, have a personalized guided day tours from Rome. With me Tours will customize the schedule based on your specific interests. Put on your helmet, on the Vespa, and allow the driver to navigate Rome. Visit important landmarks such as the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain.
Learn about the history, cuisine, and culture of this ancient city as you see some of Rome’s most beautiful landmarks. Permit them to give you a tour of the city and explain its interesting traditions and customs. The tour is based on a Vespa, a local driver, and a single passenger.
If you are an experienced motorcycle ride (you “must” be experienced), you may pay the premium for the second Vespa rental, ride it yourself, and follow the guide. In this instance, a valid driver’s license and credit card are required (not debit). Non-EU citizens must possess an International Driver’s License.
What to Expect?
- Admire Rome’s most breath-taking vistas from the most picturesque locations.
- Explore Rome on a Vespa scooter
- Visit the most notable squares and landmarks
- Enjoy a personalized tour
Included with the tour
- Hotel-pickup service
- Scooter rental
- Helmet and a hygienic skull cap